<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Magix 'n' Curses
..the argument continues

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Transformation


"Such intense eyes. I'd do anything to make him act in my play!"

Rajiv could only smile at Anu's statement. "So are you gonna try asking him?", he enquired. "Of course man! He's just the kind of character I need. A brooding demeanour, intense intense eyes, overwhelming aloofness. Abhishek's perfect for the role!"

Rajiv eyed Anu suspiciously. "So why are you telling me all this? Why don't you just go ahead and ask him?". He wasn't able to conceal his grin. He knew Anu felt a bit intimidated by Abhishek's pensive disposition.

"Err.. you're such a good friend of his, Rajiv. I was kinda hoping you'd talk him into it", Anu simpered. "You know, you're such a sweet fellow, you go outta the way to help your friends in need and all. Won't you do this little favour for poor little me?". She was batting her eyelashes furiously. "Please? Pretty please? With sugar on it please? Come on, what more do you expect me to do? Kneel and beg? If we weren't sitting in the canteen, I'd do that too!"

Rajiv waved his hand dismissively. "Nice try, Anu. But no can do. You know how he is. I think it's better if you do the asking yourself."

Anu realised she was fighting a losing battle. "Ok, at least tell me what kind of a person he is. I've ummm.. heard strange things about him..."

Rajiv remained silent for a while. Taking a deep breath, he said, "Hmmm.. Yeah. He does have a kinda fragile ego. He's extremely self conscious. Doesn't like to be teased, doesn't like to be proved wrong. He might snap if you unwittingly offend him. So be careful while talking to him. He can nurse a grudge for years! Oru vaati prestige problem nu he didnt talk to me for an entire semester. I had to apologise profusely to get back to talking terms. He's not talking to me again coz of some silly spat we had."

Anu looked at Abhishek who was sitting in a corner with his book. His unkempt hair, neglected stubble and his crazy looking moustache made him just perfect for the role of a drug addict trying to reform. She paused a moment, pulled herself up to full height and started to walk briskly towards him.

She mustered all her courage and said, "Abhishek?". Abhishek turned so quickly that he cricked his neck. He regarded her for a minute before he massaged his neck and replied in a disinterested, dull voice, "Yes?"

Bloody hell! His voice is perfect too! Why am I getting so excited about a nerdy-looking guy? It's just a proposal for a role. Calm down before people start giving you weird looks!

"Excuse me?" Abhishek interrupted Anu's frantic thoughts.

"Oh, sorry! I'm Anu. Rajiv's friend. We've met.", she twaddled as she extended her hand. Abhishek threw her a contemptuous glance, and she withdrew her hand immediately. "Listen, I direct plays and I have this role I've auditioned a lotta people for. But you fit the bill perfectly, would you like to do it? Please?"

His glare softened a bit, and Anu took it that he wanted her to go on. "It's a role of a drug addict. I believe you're perfect for the role!"

DAMN! Congrats Ms. Blabbermouth, you effed it up.

Abhishek growled, "So you mean to say I look like a drug addict?" Anu stammered before she regained her composure and rattled on, "Hey, sorry! No offense meant! I got a bit carried away thinking of all the make-up money I could save. Ha ha. That was just a joke. Err.. Sorry.. Ayyo, what am I blabbering?"

"Rajiv!", she hollered across the room, "Back me up!"

Rajiv smiled, showed her a thumbs-up sign and walked out of the canteen.

"Shit! I'm sorry Abhi.. Can I call you Abhi? Please accept the role! I'm begging you! I don't think anyone else will do justice to it. Your eyes, they're so intense, they speak for themselves. Please please please!!! Or at least hear me out, please?"

She was certain it wasn't a trick of light. Abhishek's face showed a faint trace of a smile.

YESSSS!

She looked at him, eyes pleading his to consider her offer. He nodded. She performed a little celebratory jig. In her mind, of course. She quickly briefed him about the role. She stepped out of the canteen, her heart soaring with delight. She let out a whoop of joy, startling the errand boy, as the plates in his hands flew in all directions.

The next day, Anu was busy with the Art Director when a handsome looking man came up to her and said hello. Anu couldn't place him initially and then it hit her. A clean shaven Abhishek was smiling back at her. "Oh no! Now we need to pay for the make up! Why did you do this, you idiot? But hey, you're looking good."

She expected him to snap back, but he continued to smile. She raised her eyebrow and handed him his copy of the script. "We'll rehearse Scene II now. You make an entry later in the scene. Don't forget your lines!" Abhishek nodded and walked to a corner to mug up his lines.

Rajiv dropped in to check on how Abhishek and Anu were doing when he noticed the transformation in his friend. He couldn't believe his eyes. No beard, no moustache, no shifty eyes, no droop in shoulders, this wasn't the Abhi he knew. He approached him apprehensively, knowing Abhishek wouldn't have forgotten the silly fight. "How're you da?", Abhi said warmly. Rajiv was taken aback. "I.. I thought you wouldn't talk to me.."

"Free-a vidu machi.. Past is past"
"Aagaa.. enna da aachu unakku? Is this my friend Abhishek?"
"He he.. no more prestige problem for me da. I literally felt my ego deflate when I shaved today."
"Adhukkum idhukkum enna da sambandham?"
"Simple. Inume meesaila mann ottara problem-ae illa."