<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Magix 'n' Curses
..the argument continues

Sunday, August 21, 2005

The sign


I don't believe in signs, urban legends or superstitions. Touchwood for that. :)

But sometimes, the coincidences are so freaky, you'd unconsciously look up at the sky and ask "Are you trying to tell me something?" to no one in particular. It happened to me recently. Even for someone like me who likes to take life as it comes and not worry about the future much, coz well, I'm too lazy to, the standard question - "So, what's next? What do you plan to do after BE?" tends to get you worried. With almost everyone I know doing some course or the other at some institution or the other, I started to panic wondering if doing nothing other than my BE would hamper my chances of getting into some company or the other.

So after a major session of self-introspection where I reviewed the useful things I've done in my life (It took me a surprisingly short time to do that, which only worried me more), and another session with my dad where the keywords were "repent", "arrear", "90%" and "effort" (Oh ok, those were the only words that sleepy-headed me was able to make out as my dad chose to wake me up from my sleep to give me the "dad to son lecture" that's customary after a major screw-up), I'd made up my mind about further studies and had a rather rough sketch of what I intend to do after UG.


However, as is the wont of important decisions, it's only after you've made up your mind that people start giving you contradictory opinions, and you start to panic again as doubts start creeping in. Gits! What pleasure do they get by listening to my tirade about why further studies is the better choice oh so patiently and then coolly telling me "Sigh, there are so many people unable to get jobs after their MS or MBA and have no option but to keep studying till they get one".

This was while I was waiting for a bus to college. I started to wonder if I should perhaps try to get a job through campus placement (if at all we have such a thing!!). My mind was furiously looking for answers. And searching so desperately that I half-expected the buffalo ambling across my path to turn around and give me a suggestion.
That was when I got the sign in full glory.

A staff bus of a rather reputed company (which I shall not name in fear of getting dooced even before I get a chance to get employed there) stopped at the traffic light. I could see sad looking faces, looking at the outside world with the same expression I've seen on dogs when they're taken to the dog pound. There's no sadder sight, believe me. A few looked as if they'd resigned to fate and kept sighing from time to time (It might have been a yawn, but my mind chose to interpret it as a sigh). Then came the clincher. As my eyes darted towards the roof of the bus, I saw two words in bold. Two words that best described the expressions on the employees' faces.

The letter 'B' had mysteriously disappeared in "SPARE BUS".