<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Magix 'n' Curses
..the argument continues

Monday, December 06, 2004

Rest in peace.


I hadn't thought I'd actually blog about serious topics. I'd kinda thought of this as my space.. where I could unwind and relax, and forget my tensions (College goers have them too, you know). The last thing I needed to do here was post something dead serious, and have to read comments equally sombre.

But I haven't been able to get this news off my head. There's something so unsettling about the death of someone at his prime. I didn't know him. Heck, I don't even follow soccer. But the news rattled me bad. I kinda connected with him. His family.

Now this is making me extremely nervous about the Indian Cricket Team. Playing under pressure is one thing. The pressure being a threat on one's life, is completely another. For these guys who issued the threat, it could just be a way to get publicity. But it isn't easy for a person to forget all in the field of play. Especially in a sport where even the last delivery you faced could cloud your mind, and make you lose concentration.

Hmmm, but I can't help getting back to morbidity. Cricket has had its share of deaths on the field too. There was Andy Ducat, the Englishman who collapsed while batting. Then there's the Raman Lamba episode. I'd never heard of him then. But I couldn't really shake off the news. And it'd come during an exam (like what's happened now). I had this habit of doodling cartoons on my question paper after writing the exam (we weren't allowed to go out of the hall until the bell rang). I remember being berated for wasting my time, when I could as well check my answer paper for mistakes. But that never stopped me from sketching absurd stuff, being the restless soul that I was (and still am). But that day, I'd drawn Raman Lamba, and almost wrote out a eulogy! Maybe that was my way of venting out something I really didn't feel comfortable discussing.

Mortality gives me the heebie-jeebies. :(
Rest in peace, Cristiano.

ps:
This post was just a way to get it off my mind, and concentrate on my studies. Hope it serves its purpose.